Map showing the station's location.
Southeast corner of the Port Moody Station
Northeast corner of the station.
The main waiting room of the Port Moody station.
Dispatchers phone, typewriter, telegraph sounder, key, and
order hoop in the Operator's bay.
Diorama featuring three-wheeled CPR
Model of typical locomotive used on first passenger train to
arrive at Port Moody.
"Venosta" is located at the entrance to the
This photo shows the opposite side of
The interior of "Venosta" is fitted with tables for
a serving of tea.
Upper and lower berths within one of "Venosta's"
A sliding door splits two compartments in
A mirror in the women's powder room.
Moody Station Museum is owned and operated by the Port Moody Heritage Society. It is
part of their effort to promote increased awareness and knowledge of Port Moody's
heritage and history. Exhibitions at the museum include this historic Canadian Pacific
Railway station, community displays, and the Venosta, a restored 1921 CPR sleeping
The Port Moody station, built between 1905-1907, was
the second railway station built at this location. In 1945, the Canadian Pacific
Railway ( CPR ) decided to move the station closer to town. Their employees lifted
the station off its foundation, placing it directly onto greased railway tracks, and
used an engine to pull it to its second location at the foot of Queen Street.
The station was officially closed on 25 Sep 1976, when Canadian Pacific
discontinued their passenger services.
The Port Moody Historical Society, now known as the Port Moody Heritage Society, who
were operating a museum on Kyle Street, bought the station. In 1978, it was moved from
Queen Street to its present location on Murray Street and refurbished for use as a
museum. It was officially opened on 1 Jul 1983 as the Station Museum.
The station, designed to be a live-in unit, has two floors and a
basement. The main floor is currently accessible to the public. Some rooms have been
restored to show the living and working conditions as they were in the station
between the years 1905 and 1920. Other rooms have been set up for community and
temporary displays. Plans are underway to open the upper level to show one restored
bedroom and provide additional room for temporary displays.
The kitchen, with a coal and wood stove, copper water heater, and coal-oil
lamps pre-dates electricity and piped-in water.
The museum's telegraph office features an operational telegraph system, which is
available for guests to try, and a hand-operated telephone from 1884
when the Port Moody and New Westminster Telephone Company was formed.
The waiting room contains its original wooden benches and features the works of local
artists such as Laury Ravenstein, June Moreau, and Lanni Sulje.
The Venosta and Outdoor Exhibits
The Venosta, as it is now know, was built by the Canadian Pacific Railway in 1921
as sleeping car "Glen Atha". The Venosta was restored in the fall of 1987,
with assistance from the West Coast Railway Association. The major part of the Venosta
is used to display historic railway pictures and artefacts and is setup as a dining
car. The Venosta also features two sleeping compartments and a ladies powder room
with accessories from the 1920's.
A railway display at the front of the museum exhibits 2 four-man handcars
and a boom car, which were originally used by track crews for transportation of
supplies to maintain the railway's right-of-way.
An additional four-man handcar is used for the World Championship
Handcar Races, which originated at Port Moody in 1979. The handcar races are held
annually during Port Moody's "Golden Spike Days" celebration on the first of
July long weekend.
Special events are often held in the Venosta including murder mysteries and teas. The
Venosta can be made available for parties and meetings.
Community and Temporary Displays
displays feature historical events from the local area including early history from
1858 to 1920. A lumber display shows early saw and shingle mills typical to this area.
There is also a First Nation's display of Salish artefacts and crafts. A seasonal
display booth presents temporary displays for special events like Remembrance Day,
Christmas, and Mother's Day when other themes, such as dolls, models, and toys are
The Oral History Project, largely a volunteer-based effort, has the
long-term goal of collecting personal, first-hand accounts,
of recent local history from long time residents of the area. This information will
be used to build, and eventually publish, an extensive historical resource for the
Staff and Volunteers
Operation of the museum is overseen by a volunteer Board of Trustees and the
The museum is operated by a Manager/Curator and student museum assistants who
maintain the facilities and give the majority of the tours.
Volunteers are essential to the museum and are involved in the Oral History Project,
the Tea Car, newsletter, gardening, care of the collection, operations, fund raising,
and special events.
The museum is supported by the City of Port Moody, BC Arts Council, the Royal
Canadian Legion Branch 119, HRDC Student Works, and donations.
Admission and Opening Times
Admission is by donation. The museum is open: During the summer season
( Victoria Day to Labour Day ) 10-5 daily, and during the off season, 12-4 daily.
Group and school tours can be arranged by appointment throughout the year. The station
is wheelchair accessible and plans are being made to add accessible washrooms. Plenty
of free parking is available.
Port Moody Station Museum
2734 Murray St.
Port Moody, British Columbia, V3H 1X2.
Telephone: (604) 939-1648
Fax: (604) 939-1647
Appointments: (604) 939-1648
Port Moody Station Museum
Canadian Pacific Railway
City of Port Moody
© 2005 William C. Slim