Montreal's West Island commuters had a preview of how their commuter trains will look when former CP Rail locomotive 4075, re-numbered 1305, appeared at Windsor Station 9 Feb 1983 in its new paint scheme.
Originally built in 1952 by General Motors, number 1305 was completely overhauled and re-wired at Angus Shops over a two-month period. Its first road test was completed between Montreal and Rigaud and it began regular service 24 Feb 1983.
In total, seven locomotives, nine double-deck cars, and 41 coaches were sold to the Montreal Urban Community Transit Commission (MUCTC) as part of an agreement to integrate CP Rail's suburban commuter line into the city's mass transit plan.
The locomotives, CP Rail numbers 4070 to 4075, inclusive, and number 4040, will be re-numbered 1300 to 1306. Engine 1303 has been out-shopped and will undergo road testing in the near future.
The five remaining locomotives will be brought to Angus for overhaul and re-painting according to regular maintenance schedules.
The paint scheme, two shades of blue with white trim, will also be applied to the passenger rolling stock at Angus in an overhaul program that will take about a year to complete.